Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Bike Talk



I was getting big. Nah..FAT is truthfully the apt term. A few months after hubby and I repeatedly stood up badminton partners, I thought the weighing scale needs to be repaired. Subconsciously, i know that shrinks have a precise term for it...self-denial. 125 lbs...126..127 and still getting higher. Weird scale.. i stopped using it when i registered 130. my pre-marital weight averaged 110-115lbs. 130lbs? impossible!

When a friend pointed out that the back zipper of my pants looked like it is about to split, I decided to be get a grip of reality and be proactive about my weight issues.

Badminton...out. The usual 6-8pm schedule just wont do anymore. Aero? No instructor does it at 7:30 a.m., right? Well...do video aero! Nah...leave it to the anthropophobics.

Hubby took to his past hobby, roadbiking, again. Road bike? to Murcia... and back? COOL! Will you ride with me if i get one of those "ready-made" three thousand worth bikes displayed on most bike stores? "Tetanus vaccine might be more expensive" replied hubby.

I realized later when i invited friends to take up road biking that the usual reaction is to get a cheaper bike first in case one finds out later that this sport is not for him. Sounds fair enough. However, this "ready-made" bikes are mostly not upgradeable so you will be forced to get a new one... more costly in the end.

As a newbie, it was only my pocket that prevented me from upgrading as often as I like. While in the process of assembling my bike, i insisted on the cheapest seat available. Just two rides after, i was back to the store. That the old seat was way to uncomfortable is clearly an understatement.

My handlebar went from riser to flat straight in barely two (2) months, bike shifters from trigger to grip in about 5. Another common remark for most newbies is "i will never wear clipless! ever! too extreme for my taste!" Touche! my pedals went from platform to hybrid to clipless in less than five (5) months.. the first 2 are still up for sale. Needless to say, upgrades gets me nearer to my "perfect" bike (read: most comfy bike).

Till then, OFF to Murcia!

No comments: