Friday, October 17, 2008

The Right Turn


For all the dangers that confront a road biker on each and every ride, nothing compares to the anticipation, thrill and excitement one feels in negotiating that two-wheeled vehicle through motorists, pedestrians, potholes and other gaps on the road.

As a safety or precautionary measure, how does a biker let others know of his direction while on the road?

A fully functioning brake light and turn signals are a must for every car on the road.

Bicycles though, including mine, are not equipped with these warning devices. That is why, I resort to hand signals to let the others know where I am going. As bikers, due to the relative size of their 2-wheeled vehicle compared to 4 or even 3-wheeled vehicles, must take the rightmost side of the road, the left arm understandably is the one used for ALL hand signals.

On a few occasions in the past, while riding downhill on a narrow two-lane road at the speed of about 36 km/hr., with an on-coming car on the opposite lane and with the edge of my side of the pavement dropping off to a ditch, I took the whole lane, that is, I rode on the middle of my lane, to prevent the impatient, honk-addicted motorist behind me from overtaking. At the same time, to warn him ---either to chill-out, slow down or just to let him know of my crazed dare-to-hit-me-if-you-can or will-not-allow-you-to-overtake mindset --- I bent my left arm to a 90 degree angle, fingers pointed upward as shown in the photo above.

If you were the irate motorist behind me, would you have known what said L-shape, arm up signal meant? It indicates that the biker in front of you intends to execute a RIGHT TURN.

A right turn?! Who would have thought of it? Certainly, not I.

Imagine the confusion I must have caused if those annoyed motorists behind me were familiar with internationally accepted bike traffic rules.

Of course, a left-turn signal is a no-brainer. It is done by holding the left arm straight out to the left.

What about a stop signal? If you see a biker bends his elbow and points his arm downward in an awkward upside down L-shape figure, fingers pointing to the ground… do not panic. The biker did not accidentally twist or mangle his elbow. He is just signaling that he is getting ready to STOP.

Oh well, why can’t bike manufacturers just develop a brake system similar to that of the cars? Honestly, I won’t mind if they make mine the size of a frisbee.

2 comments:

MsRay said...

hey, fellow biker, you've been tagged. Check my blog.

bebo said...

great ray! tnx. im an avid follower of your blog. love ur practical blogs.